Now I'm not saying this is the case wth my relationship. I've just had this thought on my mind and figured I would share.
I absolutely HATE the line "If you love me, you will." This is meant with complete and utter selfishness to manipulate another person to do something you want them to do that they would otherwise not usually do. At least, that's my definition. For example, If a guy says to his girlfriend, "If you love me, you will have sex with me." Well maybe she isnt ready to commit to a sexual relationship and that's why she hasnt put out already. Whatever the reason, she has hers and manipulating her to get sex is not going to make anyone happy. Ya she might give in and sleep with the guy, but if she wasnt ready to take that step, then chances are she is going to be upset and full of regret afterwords. Then he will feel bad for making her before she was ready, and yadda yadda yadda..
It's just not a win-win situation.
Of course this "phrase" is used in other circumstances not necesarily relating to sex. It could be, "If you love me, you will buy this for me.", "If you love me, you will choose a different career.", etc. I just absolutely hate it! If someone REALLY loves you, they will NOT use that phrase against you. If someone really loves you, they will accept you for who you are and embrace your differences.
Just a thought..
No comments:
Post a Comment